In this tutorial, we’ll use Photoshop to add a shadow to an object in a white limbo background.
1. Open the photograph of the object. Make sure the background color is white.
2. Select the Polygonal Lasso tool.
3. Using the Lasso, create a selection area around the object.
4. Click CTRL+C.
5. Click CTRL+V. This will paste the object onto a new layer.
6. Delete the layer with the photograph, so that the only layer is the layer with the object.
7. Select the Eraser. Erase any sign of the old background from the photograph, so that only the object is left.
8. Select the Gradient Tool. Create a light grey to white gradient. (Hex Color #b0b0b0 to #ffffff).
9. Select the Background layer so that it is active. Using the Gradient Tool, drag from the bottom of the canvas to the top. Hold down the SHIFT key while you drag upwards to get a perfect gradient from bottom to top.
10. Create a new layer underneath the layer with the object.
11. Select the Polygonal Lasso tool. Create a selection to represent the area for your shadow.
12. Select the Paint Bucket tool. Choose black and fill in the selection.
13. Click CTRL+D to deselect the shadow.
14. Goto Filter > Blur > Gausian Blur and slide the Radius until the shadow appears how you want it.